A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.

- Winnie the Pooh

Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Date at the Coast...

Steven and I had an actual, honest-to-goodness Date yesterday. No children or grandchildren- just the two of us meandering wherever and whenever we felt like going. It was splendiferous!

We drove out to the Long Beach Peninsula, and spent a couple of hours at Ocean Park. It is a lovely flat stretch of sand, filled with wind and waves. There were a myriad of birds around of course- seagulls with their mournful calls, and the raucous cry of ravens hunting for oysters and clams in the sand. I fed them strawberries and bananas from my hands, and watched them squabble over the lunch leftovers. *laughing* There were a couple of terns, too, screeching their irritation as the gulls tried to steal the fish they had caught. In the distance, just barely visible, I saw a flock of brown pelicans skimming the surface with their handy-dandy rubber gullets. *grinning*

I started to get cold, so I went and sat in the car for awhile, watching Steven hunt for sea treasures to bring home with us. He found the carapace of a dungeness crab, and both claws- (Johnathon thought they were awesome!) *laughing*

I watched the mist roll in. It looked just a like a silver grey shawl shimmering with drops of crystal all through it. Steven’s hair became all curly and unruly, and my hair looked a fright, what with foo-foo curls going every which way, but we just kept laughing and talking, never even noticing until we were home, and Meg and Matthew laughed at us.

We drove around the penninsula then, stopping when we felt like it, the silence comforting and companionable. We stopped at two light houses- the first was North Head, the second, Cape Disapointment. The wind was pretty ferocious by then, so I wouldn’t brave the trail, but Steven did, and got some beautiful shots! We also stopped at Waikiki Beach and walked around a bit. The story there is that two sailors died there, and they buried one right on the beach. He originally came from Hawaii, hence the name. It is supposed to be haunted…*grinning* The beach was surrounded by driftwood logs- there were so many, and they were so entangled, that it looked like a boneyard to me. Kind of eerie, actually.

We drove home around 7pm, pleasantly tired, and a little sunburned. Today has been a rest day, and a day to stay and snuggle with the birdlings.

I hope you enjoy the pictures…



4 comments:

Steven M. Vance said...

I know I had a delightful day, Luv! I'm glad you did too! Love ya'!

Doug said...

The lighthouse shots are so beautiful. I would have braved wind and fog for those :-)

LeftCoastLobstah said...

Nice to have a date for sure. I've been thinking about you guys over the last month or so. I have disappeared for a bit in the midst of being so busy.

becomingkate said...

I love Date Night! And the view is spectacular!