A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.

- Winnie the Pooh

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kid Speak their truth about conception and birth...*giggling*

One afternoon, waiting in the car with the three kids while my husband ran into the store to grab a few groceries, I listened in on a philosophical discussion that Meg, Matthew, and Laura were having. It involved pregnancy, and childbirth.

Our eldest, Megan, asked her two siblings what they thought about pregnancy, and women giving birth. Matthew and Laura were quiet for a few minutes, and suddenly Matthew answered loudly,"I think it is gross. If Mom got pregnant, I wouldn't even want her to come to school. People would know that she and Dad had... you know! S.E.X. EWWWWW!"

Laura looked thoughtful, and presently replied," Well, I don't know why you'd be embarrassed Matthew. Everyone's parents have to do it to get a baby. Our parents did it three times to get us, after all."

Megan looked at her sister, and asked, "What do you mean they did it three times? How many times do you think they have to do it to make a baby?"

Laura, looking puzzled, and vaguely worried now, said "Well, you get one baby every time you do it, right?"

Megan and Matthew shook their heads in a very pitying way. "No Laura", Megan said condescendingly. "They had to do it lots of times to get even one baby."

Laura looked absolutely horrified. "They what?!?" she screeched, forgetting I was even in the car. "They had...you know, S.E.X. a bunch of times???" (She looked as if she was going to vomit.)

"Yep." Megan replied sagely. "It takes lots and lots of ..you know... to have babies."

Laura gagged, and said, " Everybody has to do "it" a lot alot to get a baby?"

Megan and Matthew nodded. Laura was quiet for a few more minutes. I could see she was really trying to think this through. Then she looked even more ill, (if that was possible), and said in a thick voice, "That means Gramma and Papa had to....Oh I just can't even say it! That is just too gross to even think about!!!!!"

I snorted, and they all three glared at me. "You were eavesdropping Mom. That's rude!" Silence reigned in the car until their father came back.

As we drove home, the conversation began again, same theme, but different topic. Laura off-handedly said, "Y'know what I think? I think babies are borned through your belly button. You undo it, and the doctor pulls the baby right out!"

Matthew, full of righteous indignation quickly answered. "Nuh uh. Babies is barf-ed out. All womens barf 'em when they gets out a baby". (Steven and I were snickering by now. We couldn't help it!)

Megan, glaring at us from the back seat, only replied cryptically, "You're both wrong, but I ain't gonna tell you the right answer. It's even grosser than getting the baby in there to begin with!" *snickering*

That ended out little discussion group for that day.

I reminded Meg of that day and those topics right after she gave birth to our beautiful grandson, Johnathon. She glared at me then, too. *giggle*

Kids say the damndest things... Hope you enjoy this story as much as we do.

6 comments:

Wizardress said...

I found you finally :) *hugs*

Doug said...

I think I have read this before, but I still enjoy reading it :-)

Maggsworld said...

Oh goodness. LOL

Steven M. Vance said...

It was awfully funny, Luv. It still makes me laugh...

Anonymous said...

I did...

Dorrie said...

that is so cute, especially the way you presented it to us.... I couldn't help but smile